The practice provides structural, material and fabric diagnostics and architectural and archaeological appraisals in the preparation of conservation plans for the orderly conservation (and restoration) of historical buildings.
It undertakes condition surveys and recommendations on conservation and repairs, planning and grant applications and consultations with concerned authorities and statutory bodies, Section 57 declarations and related, restoration design services and working drawings, the preparation of scope of works and specifications, method statements and schedules, material selection and sourcing, historic and technical detailing, tender procurement and analysis, and general cost advice. It also undertakes project supervision and management, including the preparation of exemplar works where required.
We can also prepare a Project Programme with ancillary reports as required to include tender process and appointment of contractor with supervision, including recording and certifications etc. and issuing of the Completion Project Report.
Ivor McElveen Associates has built up a significant expertise in solid stone and brick wall structures, medieval structures, stone masonry repairs, masonry cleaning, lime mortars, renders, plasters, limewashes and sheltercoating and ruin consolidation. It is adept in planning applications and related, and also in project management in assignments where an emphasis is placed on good communications with the client and between other stakeholders.
Main areas of expertise fall within the following headings: – Recording, Conservation repairs, restoration, adaption and refurbishment of heritage buildings for their sustainable development and use; structural, materials and fabric diagnostics and appraisals; architectural and engineering conservation design and detailing;diagnosing and remedy of damp related issues, stone repair and medieval masonry construction including the preparation and use of lime mortars; multi-disciplinary consultation; project management and public consultation.
Examples of Work experience incorporating fabric and structural assessments, design and planning consultations, ruin consolidation and masonry repairs, restorations etc.
- Restoration of vernacular under REPS 4 Traditional Farm Buildings Grant Schemes – Various 18th & 19th c farmyards across County Wexford
- Restoration of stables and yards – 18th c Rath House, Co Laois
- Design & Supervison for Town Walls Capital Works Repairs Programme funded by IWTN Grant – Clonmel, Fethard, Kilkenny & New Ross
- Design & supervision of structural & other reapirs – 18th c Annesbrook House, Co Meath
- Design & supervision of structural repairs to private chapel – 17th c Borris House, Co Carlow
- Conservation Consultant on specific detailing of Restoration and refurbishment of – 18th c Mill & Grain Stores, Wexford town
Engineer and fabric consultant – 13th c Rinn Duin, Co Roscommon
- Design & supervision of Re-roofing, fenestration repairs etc – 18th c Silver Springs House, Co Tipperary
- Design & supervision of Repairs and restoration – 19th c Stroan Fountain, Co Kilkenny
- Design and supervision of Re-roofing and other refurbishment under various grant scheme – 19th c Workhouse, Callan, Co Kilkenny
- Design and supervision for Re-roofing with grant application 17th c Hardymount House, Co Carlow
- Structural appraisal with repair recommendation – 12th c Hiberno Norse Dublin City Wall
- Design & supervision of structural repairs – 17th c St Canice’s Steps & Arch, Kilkenny
- Design and supervision of ruin consolidation under Built Heritage Jobs Leverage Scheme – 16th c Grant Skerry’s Castle, Co Kilkenny
- Structural works to portico – 19thc National Gallery, Dublin
- Project Mangment & design of Refurbishment of tower-house – 16th c Killahara Castle, Co Tipperary
- Project Managment, design & supervision of remedial repairs to replica round tower under Heritage Building in State Care Grant – Crimean Memorial, Wexford
- Recording and catologing of collapsed wrought & cast iron pergola structure, Castlebridge House, Co.Wexford
- Project Managment of Laser & photographic surveying of recorded monument at risk prior to rection of temporary support – St Dubhan’s Church, Co.Wexford
- Masonry Cleaning, design & removal of graffiti from renaissance funerary monuments – St Mary’s Church Graveyard, Co. Kilkenny